Once in a while, you might have heard about arthritis and might already have known what it is. What does recumbent bike have to do with arthritis? Are they relevant? Before I dive into that, let me give you some story about arthritis first and we will go into the relationship between the two.
Almost a year ago, I feel a little pain on my legs especially when I sit for too long, a few hours may be. This happens every time when I had to drive long distance. When I get up from the seat, I had to wait for a little while before I gain control of my legs. I am a sport avid and I didn’t think that my body will give up on me easily. But after I had this circumstance, I was not sure if there is anything wrong about my legs.
After that, I started to feel a little pain on my knees. Funnily, it didn’t happen right on the knees but on the side of the knee in one of my leg. I wasn’t sure what it was until I went to see the doctor. Arthritis, it is. I then started to learn and know about the symptoms.
Arthritis is a disorder which happens to the joints. It is normally caused by inflammation with the pains in the area of joints. There are more than a hundred forms of the disease and the most common one is osteoarthritis. This is the one that I encountered. It is a degenerative joint disease. The symptoms are the results of trauma to the joint, infection of the joint and age. Rheumatoid arthritis is another famous type of the disease but we are not going to talk about it here.
One major symptom of having arthritis is that you will have joint pain. It may be constant especially when you have to use them a lot. The inflammation that comes with the pain may be caused by the damage to the joint from disease, the wear and tear of joint from time, muscle strains from harsh movements.
What to do when you have arthritis?
This depends on what type of the disease you are having. It also depends on what level of the symptoms you get. If you just have it and do not have much pain on it, there is a high chance that you can fully recover and live your normal life. However, if you are in a severe case, you might have to take medicines to alleviate the pain. Anyhow, you will need to consult the specialists in order to get real knowledge of how to handle the disorder.
Major lifestyle of the arthritis patients
You will have to take care of your diet, lose some weight so that your joints will not take much burden and exercise to strengthen your joints and muscle. However, you cannot do that by yourself. There are many forms of aerobic exercise which you cannot use since they may aggravate your symptoms. Muscle strengthening is easy since you can use weight training. But when it comes to aerobic exercise, it is difficult to find the right approaches since many of them can make your joint pain worse.
Recumbent bike can be an alternative
If you are looking for an exercise which bears less strain on your joints, at the same time it can help increase your cardio-vascular efficiency. You may want to check out exercising on recumbent bike. Here are the reasons why:
- The machine can help you to get a good aerobic exercise without damaging your knees and other joints. Thanks to its less lower-body impact.
- You can simply use the machine without having to climb over high middle bar like in an upright bike.
- You can perform other activities while you are exercising. You can watch TV or even work on your computer with an extra work station unit.
- You can choose several levels of intensity while you are using the machine. No matter what level of sport man you are, you can still enjoy the bike.
- The unit is not expensive in comparison to other exercise equipment. In addition, it can last quite a while if you buy a good one. Read several reviews to find the right one for you. With a wide variety of choices, you can choose the one that really matches your needs.
- Some of the machines can be combined with smart phone app to track your progress. This can be added benefits to your workout. Check out Schwinn 230 that has this attribute.
Having arthritis doesn’t mean that you have to give up your exercise. As a person who regularly exercises, I believe that recumbent bike exercise will help enhance your life quality without having to pay a lot of money. Please make sure that you start slowly and increase the intensity afterward. Don’t forget to consult the doctor before you exercise.